4.22.2008

In the land of the Kiwi

Hello!

Cailin is back in the writer's saddle again after a prolonged case of the "oh--shoot. what do I write about? ick. I just don't want to write." Misra's done a pretty good job of keepin' y'all informed, though. Now it's my turn.

We've been in New Zealand for about two weeks, now, and I've been enjoying my time here very much. At the moment, I'm at an internet cafe in the town of Takaka at the tip top of the Southern Island in the Golden Bay area where it's just gorgeous! The town reminds me of Boulder--has that free-spirit, creative and friendly feeling to it. People walk around barefoot on the streets and say hello and smile as they pass on the trails. I love it! Such a difference from Indonesia.

A few days ago Mis and I went a bit further north of here to Cape Farewell in search of a good beach to explore. We ended up on a trail to Wharariki Beach which is now one of my most favorite places on the planet. As I walked over the ridge of large dunes covered in flowing sea-grass, I saw the expansive stretch of dark, wet beach at low tide. The strength of the wind took my breath away and caused the loose sand to whip and dance across the entire length of the beach before continuing up and over the dunes. So beautiful. So unbelievably beautiful. I could not stop smiling, clapping and twirling with delight as I walked barefoot, camera in hand, hair whipped away from my face and sharp granules of white sand stinging my legs. The mesmerizing, ever-shifting designs the sands created reminded me of film clips I've seen of snow being blown over vast expanses if ice in the antarctic cold. The whole beach seemed to be moving--like it was alive. There were plenty of caves and tunnels left out to dry by the low tide to explore and, boy--did we explore, but we had the time of our lives just walking into the powerful winds on the beach. Leaning into it, jumping, dancing, kicking up sand and watching it disappear. Experiencing the raw power. In the caves we crawled and laughed and sang--I haven't had so much fun, laughed and smiled so much, in a while.

Here in New Zealand I find myself constantly exclaiming at the beauty of the land every time I look around me. (Ahh. This music playing in the cafe is fung-key. mmm. I like it! anyways...)

Leaving Bali was more difficult than I'd expected it to be and I was sort of pretending that it wasn't happening up to the last hour before I had to go. Like Misra said earlier, I also felt like I was at home in the Ashram--I had a familiar rythem of my days, people I spent time with, working at the clinic.... What really made Bali so hard to leave was the people. The staff at the clinic were so appreciative and sad that Misra and I were moving on. They are such kind-hearted people and their work does so much for the women and families that come into Bumi Sehat. And the volunteers at the Ashram who had become a little family--so love them. They are all such powerful women. With all of my goodbyes, there was the question "You will come back to Bali soon?" to which I would reply " I really don't know--maybe." I have been thoroughly juiced by my time in Bali at the birthing clinic. Just about every birth I was at I would describe as "intense"--many of them had severe complications and some of mothers in labor had to be transported to the hospital because they needed emergency surgery. The energy of the clinic is such an intense one that I could not help but carry some of that intensity into my own life and be tossed and tumbled by it--I love what it did to me. I don't know if I'll ever go back to Bali. It's not clear to me. Bye bye Bali.

Arriving in Christchurch, NZ was a bit rough due to the absence of our beloved backpacks for a whole three days, but we were back on our feet in no time. We are moving freely around the South Island in Delila--our 1989 Toyota Town Ace diesel van with a whole lot of character. We've been partaking in this wonderful way of life the Kiwis dub "freedom camping" where we pretty much pull over anywhere we fancy and spend the night there, no worries. So far, we've found some stunning spots on east coast beaches and enjoy the searching process as well. We live during the daylight and sleep with the sun: just like camping. We've been cooking great meals with the gear which came with Delila--budget, but scrumptious: you know how we cook! Singing because Misra's Ipod's dead...we've been hiking pretty much every single day since leaving Christchurch and it feels GREAT to be out and active! Two night's ago we hiked into a hut in the Abel Tasman National Park Coastal Track and that was really great. Everything is so beautiful, lush and green. In the beginning, Misra and I were definitely experiencing the culture shock with so many white people, the accents, the prices and weather change--BRRR it's COLD here! Also, we're totally diggin' living the free-spirit-come-and-go-wherever-and-whenever-we-please-'cause-we-can life. The night skies are brilliant here and I wish I knew how to play guitar because then I'd really be set. Misra and I are looking forward to experiencing some nice hot-springs, whale watching and some volunteering on an organic farm down south. I hope you are all doing well wherever you may be reading this--sorry I've been a bit out of the picture reporting out on this blog. Time is flying by and I find there's about 3 weeks until we fly home. Take care everyone!

Namaste,
Cheers,
Sampai Jumpa,
Huge hugs,
Love,

Cailin

No comments: