4.03.2008

New Zealand on the Horizon!!

Selamat Sore! (good afternoon)

Sadly our time in Bali is quickly disappearing. We have only two full days left before we board the plane to New Zealand. So much to do and so little time! I have mixed feelings about leaving. I love living in Bali and it has become a comfortable home for me. After being here for only two months, it feels like so much time has passed. Thailand and Cambodia seem like a lifetime away. I will miss all of the people here, the office staff, the Indonesian midwives, the cleaners (one of which is supposed to teach me how to make pisang goreng--fried bananas before i leave) and especially all the volunteers I have become so close to living at the Ashram. When, if ever, will i be able to see these amazing people again? There are also many cute pregnant women I would love to see birth their children, but I will be gone before they are due. One in particular is a woman named Kadek. The restaurant she cooks at is one of Cailin and my favorites and we go there all the time. We have made good friends with Kadek and it would be so nice to be at the birth of a woman I have gotten to know. We'll see what happens though. Who knows what could happen in the next two days!

Yesterday in prenatals I got to feel all the pregnant womens' bellies to try and determine the position of their babies. It was so neat! At first I had no idea what I was feeling. You can prod around and feel different bumps in places but how in the world are you supposed to be able to tell what's what? After a few bellies though I was able to tell where the baby's back and head were and determine which direction the baby was facing. All the mothers just laid on the bed and smiled at me.

Although I am very sad to leave, I know both Cailin and I are ready to go. I'm itching to get on the road again and begin the next adventure. New Zealand calls! Its time for a change of scenery and a change of pace. We are both trying to prepare ourselves for the cold weather ahead. New Zealand will be in late fall when we arrive. After traveling in tropical countries for the last 4 months it going to feel really cold. Brrrrrrr! But what better place to buy wool sweaters and socks right? I'm really looking forward to eating some really good lamb too. I've had almost no red meat this whole trip. The carnivore in me is starving.

Anyway, hope all is well on the other side of the world! You have all been in my thoughts.

Love Misra

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey girls, I hope you got your bags. Good luck on your van and adventures in New Zealand. Wanaka is alright, Lee says you can give him a call whenever.